Friday, July 30, 2010

One Week Till Chicago


Tony and Sophie have a much deserved day off today so I am looking after camp. The last time this happened I had two students square off to start a fight, a kid experience an extreme emotional outburst and the bell that keeps the camp on schedule broke and rolled down the hill.
Thankfully today has gone smoothly. I had to rescue a sailboat that was drifting into weeds, but this is normal when you combine strong winds with small kids. Sailboats were crashing into the dock, eight year olds were capsizing and laughing so much they could not get back in the boat and the sailing instructor was staring at me with malice. I see high winds and sailing as the opportunity for fun, the sailing instructors never fully agree.
There is just over a week of camp left and I don’t want it to be over yet. Sophie, Tony and I have been part of a fantastic programme but we don’t have enough time to get everything done, maybe I should go work at an all year round summer camp? The students have also been brilliant. One camper from the sailing class asked me to give her a riddle to solve. I thought about it and said “What’s black and white and read all over”? The answer is a newspaper, but Nia thought about it and replied “a mixed race person bleedin”.
On August 6th I leave Winter and its local charm to journey south to the big city of Chicago. I am planning on going to New York and maybe Washington DC at some point too. My final thoughts on camp are going to be on a video that will hopefully be uploaded on August 7th. Between that time I am still having fun and laughing at hilarious kids. 










Kids waiting for the staff parade to begin, candy buckets currently empty









Me as Mr. England, singing the national anthem and being met by booing crowds of kids
 








Bob with Tom on the back of the 4 Wheeler. Tom had poker chips plastered all over his body and the song in the background was Poker Face. Clever.









The dogs dressed up yet again, not happy, slightly humiliated.









Me as Pots and Pans Man. Basically I dressed myself in stuff I could find in the dining room









The Greek Gods












The best Bloody Mary I have ever had, on the Flowage, basically a giant lake where we went tubing and water skiing on our week off. There are bars all round the edge of the lake.









The whole gang during a break from the water















bx

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have all had alot of fun.You can give yourum sailing instrucion before e go to the greek islands in october! x

    ReplyDelete