Monday, August 16, 2010

Chicago

Horns blaring, people bustling, signs flashing and heat radiating from every surface. There is no refreshing lake to instantly jump in or a walk in freezer to sit*, I am now in Chicago.
I am sitting underneath the John Hancock center waiting for the counselors to return from viewing the city skyline. I nearly decided to join them, but then realized that this would be my fifth visit up there and I already have too many photos.

The journey here was easier than I thought, leaving camp a little bit harder. The final day is always awful, everything has to be taken apart, the dock needs to be rolled in and boats have to be stored in the gym. It’s like destroying summer piece by piece, staff get stressed, older students get tired and the nine year olds get in the way. Thankfully I escaped this process because I got to take kids who won competitions to Hayward to go to the cinema, go-carting and McDonalds. I returned to camp feeling refreshed, relaxed and happy. I was greeted with resentment, frustration and envy.

The final morning arrived and I went for my last 6.45am swim with Sophie. We got to the reeds on the other side and returned in time for breakfast, the kids were excited to go home, the counselors were excited to go traveling. I still had not packed my bags or organized the infirmary, so I was just stressed.
Eventually the bus arrived; I said my goodbyes to Bob, Tony and Sophie, took one last look at the lake and then climbed in the van. I decided not to be too upset; I keep thinking it’s my last time at camp and I keep returning.

I have not created my final video yet because Tony has made one which I have stolen instead. The video is great, but I am having issues uploading it to YouTube, which is why this post is so delayed.

Bx

*There is a nearby lake to jump into, Chicago sits on Lake Michigan, it's just not quite as convenient. And the chef never did catch me cooling off in the freezer, which I did almost daily.

























































No comments:

Post a Comment